“The church in its ministry bears witness to God’s reign through the proclamation of the gospel, through works of compassion and reconciliation, and through the stewardship of creation and life. God sends the church in the power of the Holy Spirit to exercise compassion in the world. God sends the church in the power of the Holy Spirit to share with Christ in establishing God’s just, peaceable, and loving rule in the world. God sends the church in the power of the Holy Spirit to participate in God’s work of creation and preservation.”
Our Mission Committee’s role is to vision, support and coordinate philanthropic and community service related activities of the church. The committee has enabled our congregation to engage in mission on the local and global level through several projects:
- The Church is a founding member of a local, ecumenical community ministry organization, Terre Haute Ministries, Inc.
- As a church we are partners with the Lighthouse Mission and 14th and Chestnut Community Center, both of which minister to the neediest in our community.
- We support the HEME Fund, formerly known as Project Help Afghanistan by helping widows and orphans in that country become self-sufficient through literacy and health education and especially through vocational training in sewing. Our church has supplied many sewing machines to this project.
- Years ago our church decided to become a part of the PCUSA “Peacemaking Congregations” initiative and we continue to take a special offering each year to support peacemaking causes.
- Additional local projects include First Sunday collections of supplies for local food pantries and other programs, Red Cross blood drives, participation in the SAWs project to build ramps for persons with disabilities, special collections to help support CASA, Family Services Association and CODA as well as a donation to help support the Mollie R. Wheat Memorial Clinic.
- Members of our youth group regularly serve meals at the Light House Mission, assist members of the church and participate in various mission trips to serve communities in need.
- Members provide one-on-one outreach to elementary school children through Kids Hope USA.