CPC e-news of January 31, 2014
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Of winter’s lifeless world each tree
Now seems a perfect part;
Yet each one holds summer’s secret
Deep down within its heart.
Charles G. Stater
Church Calendar for January 31 – February 8, 2014
For full church calendar, go to: https://www.thcpc.org
8:45 am Choir rehearsal
9:30 am Sunday School
10:30 am Worship; Holy Communion, Baptism
11:30 am Souper Bowl of Caring lunch
1:00 pm New Officer training
12:00 pm Family Prayer Group
11:15 Church Staff Meeting
5:30 pm Deacons Meet
7:00 pm Women’s Book Club
5:30 pm Parents’ Night Out/ Youth Movie Night
On Communion Sundays members are asked to make a voluntary contribution to aid the distressed and afflicted of our community. Please consider a gift, using the Deacons’ Fund pew envelopes. The Deacons use the funds to provide bereavement meals, vouchers for utility bills, holiday food baskets and others ways to help the church family and the community.
HELPING FIGHT HUNGER – The Mission Committee collects food items for the Salvation Army on the first Sunday of each month. Please place nonperishable items in the grocery cart in fellowship hall.
Sunday School classes meet each week at 9:30 am. Preschool – room 108; Younger Elementary (K-2nd) – room 202; Older Elementary (3rd – 5th) room 103; Middle School – room 200; High School – room 201; Adults and Young Adults: Coffee and Conversation – FH classroom A; History of Christianity – FH classroom B; Christian Parenting – FH Classroom C.
The Sunday School offering is money for milk at 14th and Chestnut. Please give generously. Sunday School Superintendent, Sandy Mead, is offering a challenge – if we get $35 (all classes) or more a week in offering, there will be a milkshake party each month!
On Sunday February 2, 2014 160 million Americans will tune in to the Super Bowl football game. There will be parties with abundant food, friendship and fellowship. At the same time, there will be people worrying about staying warm, finding shelter and a warm meal. Please join young people around the country as they demonstrate God’s love by loving their neighbors through the Souper Bowl of Caring. It’s a simple, yet significant act of caring for others. The youth group will have a donation table set up in fellowship hall February 2nd for donations of cans of soup and financial donations. Our young people are developing hearts for giving that can last a lifetime. Please support their efforts. Our church also has a soup carry in lunch on this day. Please consider bringing a crock pot of soup to share. We also love to share the soup recipes so please send your soup recipe to Amanda Mang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Women’s Book Club will meet on Thursday, Feb. 6 at 7:00 pm at the church to discuss If Its Not One Thing Its Your Mother by Julia Sweeney.
Celebrating Life is going to take a break for a few months. We will resume in May with a lunch format. If you are “retirement age,” please plan to join the fellowship of this group.
Book Discussion: Our friends at St. Stephen’s Episcopal send an invitation to join a Book Group that is forming to read and discuss Anne Lamott’s Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers. Beginning Sunday, February 9, the group will meet at 5:30 pm for four Sundays (through March 2). Please contact Bill Hughes soon if you want a book ordered. 299-9130 or email@example.com.
IMPORTANT MEETING FOR ALL PERSONS IN OUR CONGREGATION – Please mark your calendars for Saturday morning, February 15 from 9:00 am until noon to attend a presentation by Rev. Sarai Rice in the Central fellowship hall. Her purpose is to outline for us the major challenges that churches face these days, as well as ways that some forward thinking churches have successfully begun to address those challenges. We will use this information to implement strategic planning for our congregation and its mission.
Dates for your planning calendar: Saturday, February 22 – Officer Retreat – Session and Deacons 9:00 am to noon; lunch served for all; Commissions and Committees meet 1:00 – 3:00 pm (There will not be meetings on the third Tuesday)
April 25-27 Family Retreat at Pyoca
June 22 – 26 VBS at Central
Happy Birthday to:
Bruce McLaren 2/1; Peter Ekstrom, Shirley Underwood 2/2; P.J. Ekstrom 2/4; Kevin Christ, Laura Redicks 2/6; Rowyn Holder 2/7; Ryan Giltner 2/8
Lectionary readings for February 2
4th Sunday in Ordinary Time Micah 6:1-8; Psalm 15; 1 Cor. 1:18-31; Matt 5:1-12
Reminders for Sunday, February 2
Liturgist: Scott Paul-Bonham
Children’s Moment: Scott Paul-Bonham
Ushers: Fred Rubey, Paul & Linda Shaw, Murray & Eunice Pate
Hosts: Souper Bowl of Caring lunch
Session Open and Close: Joe Harder, Beth Whitaker
KOININIA PRAYER LIST
PRAYER REQUESTS (joys and concerns) should be called in or e-mailed to the church office. You can also place a request in the offering plate – or write it on the pew pad in worship. With your permission, they will be listed in the Koinonia prayer list, and announced in worship so that the church family can pray for the mentioned needs. Please keep the office updated on the requests.
- Baptism of Mont and Charles Foree
- The fellowship of women at the Ladies’ Night Out dinner. THANK YOU to the CLCA members that prepared the delicious meal.
- Xander Green, Union Hospital following emergency surgery for ruptured appendix
- The students and staff of Purdue University in the aftermath of the shooting and for the family of the victim
*indicates update of information
- Donna Wilson, at home for rest and recuperation
- Jim Morgan
- John Chironna, Crohn’s disease
- Carol Cook, chronic heart condition has worsened
- Mary Jean DeMarr
- Jon Ford’s mother, breast cancer
- Betty Wright, Marsha Harder’s mother
- The grandson of Lew Van Reed’s friend, serious liver problem
- Robert Horneker
- Harry Gee, at Davis Gardens/Westminster Village
- Andrea Paul-Bonham, YAV in Chinook, Montana
- Maria Exline, friend of Fred & Nancy Rubey, ruptured brain aneurysm
- Jonathan Kirchoff, friend of Trey Ourand, brain cancer, chemotherapy
- Julia Blair
- Zain Shepard, 4 yr.old son of Cetta DePaolo’s friend, brain damage causing seizures. Pray for Zain’s parents and family.
- Linda Albin, mother of Bob Guell’s friend
- Debby Trierweiler, friend of Barb Goltry and Moles family, liver cancer; chemo
- Lewis Sego
- Cheryl Cunningham, friend of Mary Jean DeMarr, cancer
- Gary Jenkins
- Elliot Hartman age 5, from Elkhart, IN, the grandson of a couple who are close friends of Jim and Shirley Slutz, Systemic Juvenile Arthritis
- Lance Weatherwax’s parents
- Keith & JoAnn Paul, Donna Paul-Bonham’s parents
- Dorothy Jamieson, Sandy Mead’s mother
- Shawn Larson, Phillip Smith’s godson, struggling with limitations of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Donna Paul-Bonham’s aunt, cancer
- Charles McKinney, Jill Conner’s father
- John Fowler, Paul Fowler’s brother
- Mary Helen Terrell, friend of Kathy Seay, continuing eye and vision difficulties
- Sarah Hughes, daughter of a colleague of Elaine McVay, health problems associated with MS
- Billy Wilder, friend of Lant Davis
- Rev. Pam Habitz, friend of Scott Paul-Bonham, cancer
- David Doti, friend of Joe Harder, throat cancer
- Peggy Kord, Susan Moulton’s sister-in-law, Multiple Sclerosis
- Brian Harder-Army National Guard
- William Seo – Army, South Korea
- Sgt. Adam Buck, Army, Ft. Bliss, TX
- Brad Chironna, Marines, Cherry Hill, NC
- Lindsay Kenzor, Navy
- Sean Spydell, Anna Spydell’s brother, Navy
- Jonathan Seay, Kathy’s son, Air Force
- Anthony Hubbard, son of Honnalora Hubbard, Navy Corpsman,
- Chad Strickfadden, cousin of Amanda Tramel, Army, Afghanistan
- Jacob Culp, Chuck & Sandy’s grandson, Army, Ft. Bliss, Texas
- Beverly Kajander in MO
- Laura Redicks Royal Oaks
- Tebby Miller Southwood Reflections Unit
- George Justus Westminster Village
- Mary Symon
- Paul Fowler, Westminster Village
- Pastor – Lant Davis: Lant@thcpc.org
- Christian Educator – Cheryl Moles: Cheryl@thcpc.org
- Church/Financial Secretary – Sarah Kelsheimer: Sarah@thcpc.org
- Youth Director – Tiffany Grossman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Music Director – Mark Carlisle: email@example.com
- Organist – Jonathan Rudy: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facility information/concerns – email@example.com
Presbytery of Ohio Valley website: www.povpc.org