CPC E-news of January 10, 2014
CPC E-news of January 10, 2014
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Every day brings something new.
And every day is a holy day
When you claim your baptism again.
May you be filled again with desire,
The desire to be filled by God and God alone,
Baptized to walk the disciple’s road.
Church Calendar for January 10 – 18, 2014
For full church calendar, go to: https://www.thcpc.org
10:00 am Unhanging of the Greens
8:45 am Choir rehearsal
9:30 am Sunday School
10:30 am Worship
5:00 pm Middle School Youth Group at Centenary
5:45 pm All youth dinner and games
6:30 pm High School Youth Group at Centenary
12:00 pm Family Prayer Group
10:00 am Fine Arts Committee
6:30 pm Innovation Generation
11:15 am Church Staff Meeting
7:00 pm Communications Commission
UNHANGING OF THE GREENS will be done on Saturday, January 11 from 10 to 11 am. Please come to help put away the holiday decorations. In an effort to get everyone home quickly following worship last Sunday, this was rescheduled.
Sunday School classes meet each week at 9:30 am. Preschool – room 108; Younger Elementary (K-2nd) – room 202; Older Elementary (3rd – 5th) room 103; Middle School – room 200; High School – room 201; Adults and Young Adults: Coffee and Conversation – FH classroom A; History of Christianity – FH classroom B; Christian Parenting – FH Classroom C.
The Per Capita (denomination’s administrative expenses per member) this year is $29.33 per active member. Please assist the church by paying this early in the year.
As the new technology is being used, especially for the electronic distribution of the Herald and e-news, we have learned that the church office needs email addresses updated and to know what publications you want to receive. Please email the office (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to receive the monthly Herald newsletter by email, the weekly e-news by email, and/or occasional church news updates by email. All of this information is on the THCPC (www.thcpc.org) website. If you prefer to view it without receiving an email, please unsubscribe. Thanks so much.
A Special Evening Prayer Service will be offered at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church on January 12 at 3:00 pm. This will be the second presentation that day of a new musical work, “The Baptism of Christ”, composed by Daniel Powers for choir, organ and oboe. The work takes inspiration from and art quilt alter hanging designed by the late Rosemary England; it takes St. Matthew’s version of Jesus’ baptism as its text. All are invited. Light refreshments will follow.
Ladies Night Out – Wednesday, January 29 – Dinner and a crock pot recipe exchange – Watch for details to come.
Dates for your planning calendar: Saturday, February 22 – Officer Retreat April 25-27 Family Retreat at Pyoca June 22 – 26 VBS at Central
Happy Birthday to:
Kathryn George 1/10; Mont Foree, Derek Van Dyke 1/12; Joe Harder 1/18
Lectionary readings for January 12
Baptism of the Lord Isa. 42:1-9; Psalm 29; Acts 10:34-43; Matt. 3:13-17
Reminders for Sunday, January 12
Liturgist: Jill Conner
Children’s Moment: Josh Powers
Hosts: Jim & Shirley Slutz
Session Open and Close: Eileen Whalen, Linda Shaw
KOININIA PRAYER LIST
PRAYER REQUESTS (joys and concerns) should be called in or e-mailed to the church office. You can also place a request in the offering plate – or write it on the pew pad in worship. With your permission, they will be listed in the Koinonia prayer list, and announced in worship so that the church family can pray for the mentioned needs. Please keep the office updated on the requests.
- Congratulations to Jonathan Rudy and Katie Alms on their engagement!
- Thank you to so many that have worked together during the extreme winter weather to care for the church building, the staff, and each other. Thanks also to everyone that cleared walks and filled the needs of worship and fellowship time last Sunday during the snowfall. We are thankful for the warmer temperatures and melting!
- Donna Wilson, readmission to IUPUI hospital with complications following surgery
- Nancy Rubey, successful knee replacement surgery
- Safe havens for those who do not have warm shelter during the winter weather
*indicates update of information
- Jim Morgan
- Russell Kelly, Mary Kay (Farrar)’s husband
- John Chironna, Crohn’s disease
- Carol Cook, chronic heart condition has worsened
- Mary Jean DeMarr
- Jon Ford’s mother, breast cancer
- Betty Wright, Marsha Harder’s mother
- The grandson of Lew Van Reed’s friend, serious liver problem
- Robert Horneker
- Harry Gee, at Davis Gardens/Westminster Village
- Andrea Paul-Bonham, YAV in Chinook, Montana
- Maria Exline, friend of Fred & Nancy Rubey, ruptured brain aneurysm
- Bill George, dialysis
- Jonathan Kirchoff, friend of Trey Ourand, brain cancer, chemotherapy
- Julia Blair
- Zain Shepard, 4 yr.old son of Cetta DePaolo’s friend, brain damage causing seizures. Pray for Zain’s parents and family.
- Linda Albin, mother of Bob Guell’s friend
- Debby Trierweiler, friend of Barb Goltry and Moles family, liver cancer; chemo
- Lewis Sego
- Cheryl Cunningham, friend of Mary Jean DeMarr, cancer
- Gary Jenkins
- Elliot Hartman age 5, from Elkhart, IN, the grandson of a couple who are close friends of Jim and Shirley Slutz, Systemic Juvenile Arthritis
- Lance Weatherwax’s parents
- Keith & JoAnn Paul, Donna Paul-Bonham’s parents
- Dorothy Jamieson, Sandy Mead’s mother
- Shawn Larson, Phillip Smith’s godson, struggling with limitations of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Donna Paul-Bonham’s aunt, cancer
- Charles McKinney, Jill Conner’s father
- John Fowler, Paul Fowler’s brother
- Mary Helen Terrell, friend of Kathy Seay, continuing eye and vision difficulties
- Sarah Hughes, daughter of a colleague of Elaine McVay, health problems associated with MS
- Billy Wilder, friend of Lant Davis
- Rev. Pam Habitz, friend of Scott Paul-Bonham, cancer
- David Doti, friend of Joe Harder, throat cancer
- Peggy Kord, Susan Moulton’s sister-in-law, Multiple Sclerosis
- Brian Harder-Army National Guard
- William Seo – Army, South Korea
- Sgt. Adam Buck, Army, Ft. Bliss, TX
- Brad Chironna, Marines, Cherry Hill, NC
- Lindsay Kenzor, Navy
- Sean Spydell, Anna Spydell’s brother, Navy
- Jonathan Seay, Kathy’s son, Air Force
- Anthony Hubbard, son of Honnalora Hubbard, Navy Corpsman,
- Chad Strickfadden, cousin of Amanda Tramel, Army, Afghanistan
- Jacob Culp, Chuck & Sandy’s grandson, Army, Ft. Benning, GA
- Beverly Kajander in MO
- Laura Redicks Royal Oaks
- Tebby Miller Southwood Reflections Unit
- George Justus Westminster Village
- Mary Symon
- Paul Fowler, Westminster Village
- Pastor – Lant Davis: Lant@thcpc.org
- Christian Educator – Cheryl Moles: Cheryl@thcpc.org
- Church/Financial Secretary – Sarah Kelsheimer: Sarah@thcpc.org
- Youth Director – Tiffany Grossman: email@example.com
- Music Director – Mark Carlisle: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organist – Jonathan Rudy: email@example.com
- Facility information/concerns – firstname.lastname@example.org
Presbytery of Ohio Valley website: www.povpc.org