CPC e-news of December 13, 2013
Church Calendar for December 13 – 21, 2013
For full church calendar, go to: https://www.thcpc.org
10:00 am Charlie Brown Program dress rehearsal (an email will be sent by 9:00 am if there is a change due to bad weather)
9:00 am Program rehearsal
9:30 am Sunday School for adults
10:30 am Worship
11:45 am High Ground Rehearsal
5:00 pm 7th Cents Youth Group (6th – 12th grades) at Whitaker’s home
12:00 pm Family Prayer Group
10:00 am Seekers and Searchers Women’s Bible Study at church
5:30 pm Finance Commission
5:30 pm Worship Commission
6:30 pm Church Life Church Action Commission
6:30 pm Facilities Commission
11:15 am Church Staff meeting
7:00 pm Communication Commission
The PRELUDES during Advent will feature a variety of church members and creative talents. Arrive early to enjoy them! Sunday School classes should dismiss at 10:15.
The children and youth will present an adapted version of A Charlie Brown Christmas during worship on December 15. Jean and Chuck Shutt and Amanda Mang are the directors.
7th Cents Youth Group will meet this Sunday at the Whitaker home (131 Orme Ct.) from 5:00 to 8:00 pm. Come for caroling at Meadows Manor East and a Christmas celebration!
The Farrington Grove Chorale will present a Service of Lessons and Carols at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church (215 N. 7th Street) on Sunday, the 15th at 4:00 pm.
The Christmas Eve Candlelight Service will be on December 24 at 7:30 m. A musical prelude will begin at 7:00 pm.
The Worship Commission needs cookie donations for the Christmas Eve service. As you bake for the holidays, please set aside some to share with your church family.
Hymnal News from the Worship Commission – Opportunity to purchase additional hymnals
We rejoice in the wonderful celebration and dedication of the Glory to God hymnals on Sunday, November 17, 2013. These 262 Glory to God hymnals were purchased in memory of Juanita Pugh, for which we are most grateful. That number of books sounds large, but we were actually using more copies of the old blue Presbyterian Hymnal. So, if anyone would like to purchase a pew edition of Glory to God for the church to be dedicated “in honor of” or “in memory of” someone, the cost is $18 per copy. We request to have all such orders be turned in by Sunday, December 15, 2013. Besides the check, please clearly specify for whom the hymnal is dedicated and if it is “in memory of” or “in honor of” that person.
Now a word about the old blue Presbyterian Hymnals and Sing the Faith songbooks. If you dedicated any of these books to someone, and would like to keep that copy or give that copy to someone, we invite you to do so. These books are sorted by the donator’s last name on the tables on the east wall of the Fellowship Hall. Nonetheless, several hundred quality copies of these hymnals are in storage. The session blessed the First Presbyterian Church of Chinook, Montana with 40 copies, and the members of this small congregation were amazingly thankful. Consequently, if you know of a Presbyterian congregation that would be glad to have some of our extra copies of the Presbyterian Hymnal, please let the church office know, so that those requests may be taken to the session.
Commission and Committee Chairs: All annual reports are due in to the church office by 3:30 pm on Monday, January 6.
Happy Birthday to:
Jim Moles 12/14; Ryan Grossman 12/15; Monica Hawkins 12/17; Connie Symon 12/20
Lectionary readings for December 15
Third Sunday of Advent Isa. 35:1-10; Psalm 146:5-10; James 5:7-10; Matt. 11:2-11
Reminders for Sunday, December 15
Liturgist: Harrison Whitaker
Advent Candles: Ford family
Children’s Moment: None; younger may be in the nursery
Greeters: Erin Pugh and Tyler Lucas
Ushers: Bill & Joyce Cook, Bob Horneker, Susan Hoffman, Fred Simmons, Barbara Lehman
Hosts: Bob & Mary Horneker
Session Open and Close: Brad Bough, Don Lowder
KOININIA PRAYER LIST
PRAYER REQUESTS (joys and concerns) should be called in or e-mailed to the church office. You can also place a request in the offering plate – or write it on the pew pad in worship. With your permission, they will be listed in the Koinonia prayer list, and announced in worship so that the church family can pray for the mentioned needs. Please keep the office updated on the requests.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas presented by our children and youth
- Congratulations to Katie Guell and Manuel Salmeron on their engagement!
*indicates update of information
- Donna Wilson, recovering from abdominal surgery (in Indianapolis); now at Springhill Village for rehab, room 306. She welcomes visitors!
- Jim Morgan, broken leg is healing; he expects to return to WV apartment by the 18th
- Bill Cook, facial surgery; doing well
- Russell Kelly, Mary Kay (Farrar)’s husband, hospitalized
- John Chironna, Crohn’s disease
- Carol Cook, chronic heart condition has worsened
- Amanda Mang’s co-worker, miscarriage at 5 months
- Mary Jean DeMarr
- Mike Wadsworth, successful hip replacement
- Jim Schnabel, aortic aneurysm repaired, doing well at home
- JoAnn Paul, Donna Paul-Bonham’s mother, successful hip replacement surgery
- Jon Ford’s mother, breast cancer
- Betty Wright, Marsha Harder’s mother
- The grandson of Lew Van Reed’s friend, serious liver problem
- P.J. Ekstrom’s step-sister’s daughter, mastectomy surgery
- Robert Horneker, treatment for prostate cancer
- Harry Gee, at Davis Gardens/Westminster Village
- Andrea Paul-Bonham, YAV in Chinook, Montana
- Maria Exline, friend of Fred & Nancy Rubey, ruptured brain aneurysm
- Bill George, dialysis
- Jonathan Kirchoff, friend of Trey Ourand, brain cancer, chemotherapy
- Julia Blair
- Zain Shepard, 4 yr.old son of Cetta DePaolo’s friend, brain damage causing seizures. Pray for Zain’s parents and family.
- Linda Albin, mother of Bob Guell’s friend, possible recurrence of cancer
- *Debby Trierweiler, friend of Barb Goltry and Moles family, liver cancer; chemo; condition not improving
- Lewis Sego
- Cheryl Cunningham, friend of Mary Jean DeMarr, cancer
- Gary Jenkins
- Elliot Hartman age 5, from Elkhart, IN, the grandson of a couple who are close friends of Jim and Shirley Slutz, diagnosed with Systemic Juvenile Arthritis
- Lance Weatherwax’s parents
- Keith & JoAnn Paul, Donna Paul-Bonham’s parents
- Dorothy Jamieson, Sandy Mead’s mother
- Shawn Larson, Phillip Smith’s godson, struggling with limitations of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Donna Paul-Bonham’s aunt, cancer
- Charles McKinney, Jill Conner’s father
- John Chironna
- John Fowler, Paul Fowler’s brother
- Mary Helen Terrell, friend of Kathy Seay, continuing eye and vision difficulties
- Sarah Hughes, daughter of a colleague of Elaine McVay, health problems associated with MS
- Billy Wilder, friend of Lant Davis
- Rev. Pam Habitz, friend of Scott Paul-Bonham, cancer David Doti, friend of Joe Harder, throat cancer
- Peggy Kord, Susan Moulton’s sister-in-law, Multiple Sclerosis
- Brian Harder-Army National Guard
- William Seo – Army, South Korea
- Sgt. Adam Buck, Army, Ft. Bliss, TX
- Brad Chironna, Marines, Cherry Hill, NC
- Lindsay Kenzor, Navy
- Sean Spydell, Anna Spydell’s brother, Navy
- Jonathan Seay, Kathy’s son, Air Force
- Anthony Hubbard, son of Honnalora Hubbard, Navy Corpsman,
- Chad Strickfadden, cousin of Amanda Tramel, Army, Afghanistan
- Jacob Culp, Chuck & Sandy’s grandson, Army, Ft. Benning, GA
- Beverly Kajander in MO
- Laura Redicks Royal Oaks
- Tebby Miller Cobblestone Crossings
- George Justus Westminster Village
- Mary Symon
- Paul Fowler, Westminster Village
- Pastor – Lant Davis: Lant@thcpc.org
- Christian Educator – Cheryl Moles: Cheryl@thcpc.org
- Church/Financial Secretary – Sarah Kelsheimer: Sarah@thcpc.org
- Youth Director – Tiffany Grossman: email@example.com
- Music Director – Mark Carlisle: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organist – Jonathan Rudy: email@example.com
- Facility information/concerns – firstname.lastname@example.org
Presbytery of Ohio Valley website: www.povpc.org