CPC e-news for September 9, 2016
HOLYPALOOZA is Sunday, September 11
The 4th annual Holypalooza is September 11. This is a moment when the 7th Street churches come together for a joint worship service (10am at Centenary United Methodist Church; NO SERVICE AT CPC THIS MORNING) followed by a barbecue lunch at Centenary supporting United Campus Ministries. We also welcome gatherers at 9:30am for a parade from the ISU plaza by the parking garage to Centenary. There will be a Palooza Party from 11:30 – 1:00pm on the UCM lawn with games and activities.
Finally, it is a tradition that we make the event in part about service to the community. We have three ways you can help:
- Bring items for personal hygiene packs (for needy college students through the United Campus Ministries Food Pantry and for the homeless). We will package them at St. Stephens after the Holypalooza service. Come before or after your lunch to help, or bring your lunch over and help. Meet some new friends this way! You can bring donations to CPC before Holypalooza or to St. Stephens on Holypalooza itself.
- Bring items for area food pantries (UCM Food Pantry and others; hunger needs are extensive in Terre Haute). You can bring donations to CPC before Holypalooza or to St. Stephens on Holypalooza itself.
- Sign up to participate in/be a volunteer for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (Oct. 8). Signups will occur after the Holypalooza service.
Our Kids Hope ministry is in need of mentors, substitute mentors and prayer partners for the new school year. If you would like to make a difference in the life of a child at Deming Elementary School, please contact Suzanne Downs at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. In addition, volunteers are needed to help with the Backpack Program that provides food for children in their school over the weekend and during holidays. Deming Elementary services the most children in the district in this program with 170 children getting food weekly. We need volunteers on Wednesday or Thursday that would be willing to come stuff backpacks for about an hour. The time will be determined by the group of volunteers. PLEASE SAVE PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS TO BE USED TO PACK THE FOOD EACH WEEK. A BIN IS IN FELLOWSHIP HALL TO COLLECT THEM. THANKS!
KEEPING UP WITH THE TRANSITION –
Rev. Kevin Burchette Buchanan has been called to serve the church as the Transitional Pastor. Kevin graduated from Westminster College with majors in religion and philosophy in 1977. He received his Master of Divinity in 1980 and his Doctor of Ministry in 1996, both from Louisville Seminary. For the past six years he has served as installed pastor at the First Presbyterian Church in Marshfield, Wisconsin. Kevin and his wife, Astrid have found a house to rent in Terre Haute. He will begin his duties here on September 15th and be in the pulpit on September 18th.
CL-CA Commission will sponsor an expanded coffee/fellowship hour Sunday Sept. 18th, to help the congregation meet and welcome Kevin and Astrid Buchanan on their first Sunday with us. Small sandwiches, fruit,veggies/dip, and cookies will be served with our beverages. Tables for small groups and some clusters of chairs will be available as seating for those who wish. Stick on name tags will be worn to help the Buchanans know with whom they are conversing, We won’t expect 100% instant recall the next week!
For full church calendar, go to: https://www.thcpc.org
5:30 pm Parents’ Night Out
10:00 am Presbytery Assembly at Pyoca
4:00 pm Worship and Farewell to Rustic Cabins at Pyoca- everyone welcome
5:00 pm 7th Cents Youth Group working at Blues at the Crossroads Festival
10:00 am Holypalooza Worship at Centenary; Holy Communion
11:00 am Family Prayer Group
5:30 pm Youth Group Girls’ Bible Study
9/12 – 9/16 Sarah Kelsheimer on vacation
Church office will open at 9:00 am
7:00 pm Session meets
7:00 pm Choir Cantanta Rehearsal
Rev. Buchanan in office
9:00 am 7th Cents Youth Group meets at Airport for Young Eagles program
Dates for your planning calendar:
September 11 Holypalooza
September 18 Rev. Buchanan leads worship
November 4 & 5 Fall Bazaar
KOINONIA PRAYER LIST: In an effort to keep the prayer needs of our family and friends off of the website, you will be receiving a separate email with the Koinonia Prayer List. The same distribution list is used for both mailings, so if you unsubscribe to one, you have for both.
Happy Birthday to:
Larry Clinkenbeard, John Ragle 9/13; Jon Ford, Phillip Mellor, John Whalen 9/15
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, September 11, 2016, the Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year C)
- First Reading Jeremiah 4:11-12, 22-28
- Psalm 14:1-7
- Second Reading 1 Timothy 1:12-17
- Gospel Luke 15:1-10
- Transitional Pastor – Rev. Kevin Buchanan
- Parish Associate – Rev. Scott Paul-Bonham: email@example.com
- Christian Educator – Cheryl Moles: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Church/Financial Secretary – Sarah Kelsheimer: email@example.com
- Youth Director – Connor Scanlon: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Music Director – Mark Carlisle: email@example.com
- Facility information/concerns – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kids Hope – Suzanne Downs: email@example.com
Presbytery of Ohio Valley website: www.povpc.org