CPC e-news for September 4, 2016
HOLYPALOOZA is Sunday, September 11
The 4th annual Holypalooza is September 11. This is a moment when the 7th Street churches come together for a joint worship service (10am at Centenary United Methodist Church; NO SERVICE AT CPC THIS MORNING) followed by a barbecue lunch at Centenary supporting United Campus Ministries. We also welcome gatherers at 9:30am for a parade from the ISU plaza by the parking garage to Centenary. There will be a Palooza Party from 11:30 – 1:00
pm on the UCM lawn with games and activities.
Finally, it is a tradition that we make the event in part about service to the community. We have three ways you can help:
- Bring items for personalhygiene packs (for needy college students through the United Campus Ministries Food Pantry and for the homeless). We will package them at St. Stephens after the Holypalooza service. Come before or after your lunch to help, or bring your lunch over and help. Meet some new friends this way! You can bring donations to CPC before Holypalooza or to St. Stephens on Holypalooza itself.
- Bring items for area food pantries (UCM Food Pantry and others; hunger needs are extensive in Terre Haute). You can bring donations to CPC before Holypalooza or to St. Stephens on Holypalooza itself.
- Sign up to participate in/be a volunteer for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (Oct. 8). Signups will occur after the Holypalooza service.
HOLYPALOOZA CHOIR rehearsal will be Thursday, September 8 from 7:00 – 8:30 pm at Centenary.
September 4 – On Communion Sundays members are asked to make a voluntary contribution to aid the distressed and afflicted of our community. Please consider a gift, using the Deacons’ Fund pew envelopes. The Deacons use the funds to provide bereavement meals, vouchers for utility bills, holiday food baskets and others ways to help the church family and the community.
Our Kids Hope ministry is in need of mentors, substitute mentors and prayer partners for the new school year. If you would like to make a difference in the life of a child at Deming Elementary School, please contact Suzanne Downs at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. In addition, volunteers are needed to help with the Backpack Program that provides food for children in their school over the weekend and during holidays. Deming Elementary services the most children in the district in this program with 170 children getting food weekly. We need volunteers on Wednesday or Thursday that would be willing to come stuff backpacks for about an hour. The time will be determined by the group of volunteers.
KEEPING UP WITH THE TRANSITION –
Rev. Kevin Burchette Buchanan has been called to serve the church as the Transitional Pastor. Kevin graduated from Westminster College with majors in religion and philosophy in 1977. He received his Master of Divinity in 1980 and his Doctor of Ministry in 1996, both from Louisville Seminary. For the past six years he has served as installed pastor at the First Presbyterian Church in Marshfield, Wisconsin. Kevin and his wife, Astrid have found a house to rent in Terre Haute. He will begin his duties here on September 15th and be in the pulpit on September 18th.
CL-CA Commission will sponsor an expanded coffee/fellowship hour Sunday Sept. 18th, to help the congregation meet and welcome Kevin and Astrid Buchanan on their first Sunday with us. Small sandwiches, fruit,veggies/dip, and cookies will be served with our beverages. Tables for small groups and some clusters of chairs will be available as seating for those who wish. Stick on name tags will be worn to help the Buchanans know with whom they are conversing, We won’t expect 100% instant recall the next week!
For full church calendar, go to: https://www.thcpc.org
9:30 am Sunday School for all ages
10:30 am Worship; Rev. Scott Paul-Bonham; Holy Communion
Church Office Closed – Labor Day
9/6 – 9/16 Sarah Kelsheimer on vacation
Church office will open at 9:00 am
5:00 pm Deacons meet
7:00 pm Women’s Book Club
7:00 pm Holypalooza Choir rehearsal at Centenary
5:30 pm Parents’ Night Out
10:00 am Presbytery Assembly at Pyoca
4:00 pm Worship and Farewell to Rustic Cabins at Pyoca- everyone welcome
5:00 pm 7th Cents Youth Group working at Blues at the Crossroads Festival
Dates for your planning calendar:
September 11 Holypalooza
September 18 Rev. Buchanan leads worship
November 4 & 5 Fall Bazaar
KOINONIA PRAYER LIST: In an effort to keep the prayer needs of our family and friends off of the website, you will be receiving a separate email with the Koinonia Prayer List. The same distribution list is used for both mailings, so if you unsubscribe to one, you have for both.
Happy Birthday to:
Barbara Schmitt, Avis Whitaker 9/2; Patrick Mellor 9/9
REMINDERS FOR SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4:
Liturgist: Scott Racop
Children’s Moment: Josh Powers
Greeters: Leanne & Rowyn Holder
Ushers: Paul & Linda Shaw, Murray & Eunice Pate, Tom Bogigian
Hosts: Susan Hoffman
Session Open & Close: Bob Guell, Fred Rubey
Bus Assistant: Dave Rader
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, September 4, 2016, the Twenty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year C)
- First Reading Jeremiah 18:1-11
- Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18
- Second Reading Philemon 1-21
- Gospel Luke 14:25-33
- Transitional Pastor – Rev. Kevin Buchanan
- Parish Associate – Rev. Scott Paul-Bonham: email@example.com
- Christian Educator – Cheryl Moles: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Church/Financial Secretary – Sarah Kelsheimer: email@example.com
- Youth Director – Connor Scanlon: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Music Director – Mark Carlisle: email@example.com
- Facility information/concerns – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kids Hope – Suzanne Downs: email@example.com
Presbytery of Ohio Valley website: www.povpc.org