CPC e-news for September 21, 2018
9:30 am Sunday School for all ages
10:30 am Worship
3:30 Youth group meet at CPC to travel to Brazil
4:30 pm Financial Peace University Session 1
11:00 am Family Prayer Group
10:00 am Seekers and Searchers Women’s Bible Study
11:15 am Church Staff meeting
12:30 pm Personnel Committee
The Seekers and Searchers Women’s Bible Study will resume meeting on Tuesday, September 25 at 10 am at the church. Cheryl Moles will lead a 4 session monthly study of Mary: Seeing God through the Eyes of a Mother by Eugene H. Peterson. There is no book to purchase. All women are welcome to join the fellowship and study.
Central is hosting and coordinating a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University. It is open to all church family and the community. There is a cost for each household to cover the cost of your materials. Half scholarships are available for CPC members. The classes will begin meeting on September 16 at 4:30 pm and run each Sunday evening through November 11. Childcare will be provided. Talk to Ginny and Andrew Payne for more information and register at http://www.fpu.com/1069125. This is for anyone or couple to develop money management skills or for those looking for a way to adjust their existing financial system. There is still time to join!
MONOPOLY FUNDRAISER FOR YOUTH AND DEACONS’ FUND
On Sunday, September 30, Sanctuary seating will be divided into sections using
Monopoly board themes with various values based on location. Stop downstairs
before the service to purchase your “deed” to a seat in the section you desire. Ushers
will assist you in finding your place. If you find yourself embarrassingly short of
funds, “Free Parking” will be available way down front. More to come…
More fun! FIFTH SUNDAY LUNCH
The Fifth Sunday Lunch will be served on September 30th immediately following the
service. CLCA will provide meatloaf and drinks and the congregation is asked to
bring a side dish – vegetable, salad, or dessert. Join us for a great meal and
Mission Committee Report 2018 Summer Mission Projects
Thanks to all who participated!
- Kid’s Hope end of school party at the Spotted Horse Ministries in May.
- July 28th with the Horizon East Church in Indianapolis a distribution for Syrian refugees.
- International Student Dinner, August 15th. Coordinated with United Campus Ministries, to host the UCM regulars and a group of Korean students studying this summer at Rose-Hulman.
- Blood drive August 14th, 19 donors.
- Grief Share, meeting Wednesday evenings at CPC.
- SAW’s Ramp projects.
- Vacation Bible School children wrote letters to the children of widows in Afghanistan enrolled in the HEMEFund vocational schools. The children sent back drawings and notes to CPC.
- HEMEFund presentation by William Seo August 12th
- Summer breakfast served at 14th & Chestnut by CPC volunteers.
- Kid’s Hope provided for teachers and staff at Deming Elementary breakfast and afternoon snacks August 7th.
- Kid’s Hope greeters for first day of school at Deming Elementary on August 8th
- Undie Sunday. Collected new underwear for 14th & Chestnut.
- Raised and deployed $1,100 to HemeFund for additional security needed at their two vocational schools is Kabul Afghanistan.
CENTENARY STRIDERS Central Presbyterian members are invited to take part in a new walking and running group that will meet weekly in front of Centenary Church. Centenary Striders will meet at 5:30 p.m. Mondays, beginning Sept. 10. We will take various walking and running routes on campus and around town, making use of the city’s trail system, then returning to the church for refreshments. Michel Starkey, Steve Hardin, Mel Camp and Don Dodson will accompany groups of various paces. Michel and Don will work with the running groups, Steve will lead the walking group and Mel will work with runners who would like to build their distances, using a run-walk-run strategy. The first walk will be one-half mile out – and one-half mile back. The route starts at Centenary, goes west onto the ISU Quad in front of Normal Hall, then heads northwest on the diagonal path to the Dede Fountain plaza, then continues north along the east side of Sixth Street through the Reeve Hall complex to the corner of Sixth and Tippecanoe. Water will be available at that point, and the walkers will return the same way they came. The first run will be one mile out and one mile back. It follows the same route as the walkers to Sixth and Tippecanoe, then continues west along the south side of Tippecanoe, shifting to the north side of Tippecanoe at the point where the ISU Fitness Trail begins. The route then follows the fitness trail under the Third Street overpass to the point where the trail meets First Street. Runners will then return to the church the same way they came. Water will be available at the one-half mile and 1-1/2 mile points. In the following weeks, we plan to use routes that will take us to Maple Avenue Park, Centennial Park, Farrington Grove, Collett Park, Fairbanks Park and the ISU Stadium. We will use portions of the National Road Heritage Trail, the South Fourth Street Trail and the North Fifth/Sixth Streets Trail. In case of inclement weather, walkers will make use of the church building. Please share this information with any friends and acquaintances who are interested in maintaining fitness and enjoying the company of old and new friends! This is a good way to shake off the mental fatigue of the day and relish the gifts of nature and neighbors.Feel free to contact Don Dodson – 812-234-0106 or email@example.com – or any other of the pace leaders if you have questions.
Liturgist: Eunice Pate
Ushers: John & Eileen Whalen, Kyle Kershaw, Tom Bogigian, Max Payne
Hosts: Bruce & Connie McLaren
Session Opening: Luanne Tilstra; Valeri Kershaw
Offering Counting: Bob, Barb
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to:
Carol Ennis, Eunice Pate 9/21; Marci Shaw 9/22; Henry Conner 9/29
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, September 23, 2018, the Twenty-Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B)
- Pastor – Rev. Mike Riggins: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christian Educator – Cheryl Moles: email@example.com
- Church/Financial Secretary – Sarah Kelsheimer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth Director – Connor Scanlon: email@example.com
- Music Director – Mark Carlisle: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facility information/concerns – email@example.com
- Kids Hope – Donna Paul-Bonham – firstname.lastname@example.org
Presbytery of Ohio Valley website: http://www.presbyteryov.org
Follow us on Facebook!