CPC e-news for July 2, 2015
THIS IS MY SONG (#340 in Glory to God)
This is my song, O God of all the nations,
a song of peace for lands afar and mine.
This is my home, the country where my heart is;
here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine;
but other hearts in other lands are beating
with hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.
My country’s skies are bluer than the ocean,
and sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine.
But other lands have sunlight too, and clover,
and skies are everywhere as blue as mine.
So hear my song, O God of all the nations,
a song of peace for their land and mine.
This is my prayer, O Lord of all earth’s kingdoms;
thy kingdom come; on earth thy will be done.
Let Christ be lifted up till all shall serve him,
and hearts united learn to live as one.
So hear my prayer, O God of all the nations;
myself I give thee; let they will be done.
Stanzas 1-2, Lloyd Stone, stanza 3, Georgia Harkness
“The first two stanzas of this hymn were written between the 20th century’s two world wars and focus on the theme of international peace.
The third stanza, by another author and later added, uses the language of the Lord’s Prayer to voice a distinctly Christian perspective.”
ADULT MISSION TRIP to Buckhorn, Kentucky July 17-19
Help make a difference for one of the lowest income communities in America. Two ways you can help:
- Sign-up to come (located in Fellowship Hall or email Josh Powers: firstname.lastname@example.org). Service project options for all abilities, ages, and mobilities. Overnight accommodations air conditioned. Meal out on Saturday night at picturesque Buckhorn Lake Lodge. Church service Sunday in historic log church. Deadline to sign up: July 8. Families are encouraged to attend. Children will attend the Buckhorn VBS on Saturday while parents work on projects for the church.
- Donate items for the Buckhorn Church Thrift Store. Deliver to CPC June 12-17 (by 3pm when caravan leaves). Ideal items: household goods, children & youth clothing, baby items, small appliances, toys, costume jewelry, linens, blankets, towels, household knick knacks, fans, kitchen items, tableware.
For more information, see the display in Fellowship Hall or contact Josh Powers or Cheryl Moles. Youth will be on trip as well running their VBS. Parents, consider coming too!
The Wednesday Crafters meet each Wednesday from 10-2. Bring your own materials to work on for our fall bazaar, or help with ongoing projects. Bring your lunch and enjoy our day of fellowship.
Summer Sunday School classes meet each week at 9:30 am. Preschool – room 108; Elementary – room 202; Middle School and High School – room 201; Coffee and Conversation – FH Classroom A; Exploring the Book of Confessions – FH Classroom B; Christian Parenting – FH Classroom C. There will NOT be Sunday School on July 5.
The Sunday School offering for milk at 14th and Chestnut continues. The need is increased during the summer with higher numbers of kids at the Center and 2 meals served each day.
The annual Terre Foods Blueberry Festival will be on Thursday, July 16 on the parking lot next to Central. Volunteers are needed for a variety of jobs; please contact Holly Hudson at email@example.com.
Dates for your planning calendar:
July 16-19 Youth Mission Trip to Buckhorn, KY
July 17-19 Adult/Family Mission Trip to Buckhorn, KY
Church Calendar for July 2-11, 2015
For full church calendar, go to: https://www.thcpc.org
Church Office Closed
10:30 am Worship
11:00 am Visitation for Tebby Miller
1:00 pm Memorial Service for Tebby Miller
7:00 pm Youth and Parent meeting for those going on Mission Trip
10:00 am Bazaar Crafters
11:15 am Church Staff meeting
7:00 pm Session meets
7:00 pm Women’s Book Club
KOINONIA PRAYER LIST: In an effort to keep the prayer needs of our family and friends off of the website, you will be receiving a separate email with the Koinonia Prayer List. The same distribution list is used for both mailings, so if you unsubscribe to one, you have for both.
Happy Birthday to:
Travis Rubey, Katie Salmeron, Michael Shaw 7/3; Matthew Mardis, Nancy McKee 7/4; Cheryl Moles 7/5; Jonathan Rudy 7/6; Carol Cook, Megan Rader 7/8; Steve Templeton 7/9;
Reminders for Sunday, July 5
Children’s Moment: Lant Davis
Greeters: Bill & Brenda Green
Ushers: 1st Sunday team
Hosts: Susan Hoffman & Kathleen Smith
Session Open & Close:
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, July 5, 2015,
the Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B)
HOW TO REACH US:
- Pastor – Lant Davis: Lant@thcpc.org
- Christian Educator – Cheryl Moles: Cheryl@thcpc.org
- Church/Financial Secretary – Sarah Kelsheimer: Sarah@thcpc.org
- Youth Director – Tiffany Grossman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Music Director – Mark Carlisle: email@example.com
- Interim Organist – David Gibbs
- Facility information/concerns – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kids Hope – Suzanne Downs: email@example.com
Presbytery of Ohio Valley website: www.povpc.org
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) website: www.pcusa.org