CPC e-news for December 14, 2018
5:30 pm Parents’ Night Out
8:30 am Youth Breakfast
9:15 am Christmas Program rehearsal – ALL children and youth
9:00 am Christmas Program rehearsal – ALL children and youth
9:30 am Sunday School for adults
10:30 am Worship; 3rd Sunday of Advent; Christmas Program
11:45 am Church family lunch
11:00 am Family Prayer Group
5:30 pm Worship Commission meets
5:30 pm Finance Commission meets
6:00 pm Mission Committee meets
6:15 pm Facilities Commission meets
6:30 pm Grief Share
The children and youth will present “Emoji Christmas” during worship on Sunday!
The Christian Life Commission is having a carry-in lunch on Sunday, December 16 to celebrate the Christmas Program in place of the 5th Sunday. Ham, rolls and drinks will be provided. Please bring a dish to share.
For security reasons, several of the church building doors will lock at 10:45 on Sunday mornings. The main doors (on 7th Street) will remain open. A greeter will be there to welcome late-comers to our sanctuary for worship.
The SUNDAY SCHOOL OFFERING is for the VCSC Backpack Program at Deming School to purchase additional food for the children to take home for winter break. Please donate generously in your Sunday School class or use the basket in fellowship hall.
Make your Christmas brighter by helping others! The Central Mission Committee has a Giving Tree set up in fellowship hall. Those who desire to assist the community and other outreach opportunities may take a gift tag with a gift need listed. These will include:
- HEMEfund sewing machines ($60) WHITE TAGS Checks payable to HEMEfund
- Donation to purchase gloves, scarf, socks & jacket for an Afghan child of a widow ($6) BLUE TAGS Checks payable to HEMEfund
- Donation to purchase gloves, scarf, socks & jacket for an Afghan widow ($10) YELLOW TAGS Checks payable to HEMEfund
- Donation to purchase food to feed 10 people at the Light House Mission ($20) GREEN TAGS Checks payable to Central Presbyterian Church Light House Mission food on memo line
- Hats and gloves for residents – men and women – of the Light House Mission (various prices) ORANGE TAGS
- Gift item (“mom” gifts – lotion, candle, picture frame, etc.) for the 14th and Chestnut Moms Matter group (various prices) RED TAGS
All items will need to be returned to the church unwrapped by December 16. Monetary donations should go to the church office.
All are invited to the Christmas Eve Candlelight Service. Pre-service music begins at 7:00 pm with the worship service beginning at 7:30. The traditional wassail fellowship will follow. Childcare will be provided.
The Worship Commission needs cookie donations for Christmas Eve. Please share some of your goodies.
The nationally recognized Millikin University Choir will be in concert in the CPC Sanctuary on Sunday, January 6 at 3:00 pm. A free will offering will be received.
THANK YOU NOTES –
I would like to thank the entire Church Life Committee for my lovely Woman’s Welcome Luncheon on December 1st! It was a wonderful, fun time. It was joyful for me to be able to share my new church family with my family. The committee’s planning and efforts to make the event festive and special was a big success. I was awestruck at the amazing variety of salads-my very favorite things to eat! Well done! I felt as if I had already been completely welcomed so this occasion was just “dressing on the salad” . Warmly, Linda R.
Assisting for December 16:
Greeters: Brad & Susan Bough
Liturgist: Leanne Holder
Children’s Moment: N/A
Ushers: Fred Simmons, Jim Moles, Connor & Kendra Scanlon, Andrew & Rachael Spencer
Hosts: CL Commission
Session Opening: Nancy Edgerton, Kevin Christ
Bus Assistant: Phil Smith
Offering Counting: Leanne, Barb
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to:
Jim Moles 12/14; Ryan Grossman 12/15; Monica Hawkins 12/17; Nicholas Culp 12/18; Matthew Ford, Samuel Ford 12/22
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, December 16, 2018, the Third Sunday of Advent (Year C)
- Pastor – Rev. Mike Riggins: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christian Educator – Cheryl Moles: email@example.com
- Church/Financial Secretary – Sarah Kelsheimer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth Director – Connor Scanlon: email@example.com
- Music Director – Mark Carlisle: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facility information/concerns – email@example.com
- Kids Hope – Linda Riggins – firstname.lastname@example.org
Presbytery of Ohio Valley website: http://www.presbyteryov.org
Follow us on Facebook!