CPC E-NEWS OF JANUARY 3, 2014
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Now go with the assurance that
God is present in you at your strongest and weakest.
God is present in all creation, including you.
God is present in every moment and in a single word.
God is present, recognized or not.
And God is present in the flesh – like our flesh – to bring us home.
Church Calendar for January 3 – 11, 2014
For full church calendar, go to: http://www.thcpc.org
5:30 pm Parents’ Night Out/Youth Movie Night
8:45 am Choir rehearsal
9:30 am Sunday School for adults
10:30 am Worship; Rev. Scott Paul-Bonham preaching
11:30 am Unhanging of the Greens
12:00 pm Family Prayer Group
7:00 pm Session meets
UNHANGING OF THE GREENS follows worship on Sunday, January 5. Please remain after worship to help put away the holiday decorations.
Commission and Committee Chairs: All annual reports are due in to the church office by 3:30 pm on Monday, January 6.
On Communion Sunday, members are asked to make a voluntary contribution to aid the distressed and afflicted of our community. Please consider a gift, using the Deacons’ Fund pew envelopes.
The next annual meeting of the congregation of Central Presbyterian Church and of the
members of our church corporation (Central Presbyterian Church, Inc., of Terre Haute, Indiana)
(the “corporation”), will be held in the church sanctuary immediately following 10:30 a.m.
worship (that is, approximately 11:30 a.m.) on Sunday, January 26, 2014. Among other
items of business that will come before that annual meeting, the session (and the board of
directors of the corporation) will seek the approval by the congregation’s active members
(and the members of the corporation) of Amended and Restated Articles of Incorporation and
Bylaws for the corporation. The proposed restatement of and amendments to the Articles of
Incorporation of the corporation and the proposed amendments to the current Bylaws are
intended to conform those documents, as nearly as possible, to the existing Indiana Code
(Title 23) and the Constitution of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), including Part I (The Book
of Confessions) and Part II (The Book of Order), and to reconcile Indiana statutory law with the
nomenclature and polity of The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). Copies of the existing Articles
of Incorporation and Bylaws are available in the church office and are posted in the church’s
Fellowship Hall, as are copies of the proposed Amended and Restated Articles of Incorporation
and amended Bylaws. Copies of the proposed Amended and Restated Articles of Incorporation and amended Bylaws may also be found in the church’s 2013 Annual Report, which will be available for pickup in the Fellowship Hall beginning on Sunday, January 12, 2014.
Parents’ Night Out/Youth Movie Night will be Friday, January 3. Supper and childcare is provided for church member families from 5:30 to 9:00 pm. Please notify the church office is your child(ren) or youth will be attending.
Happy Birthday to:
David Rader 1/4; Phillip Smith 1/5; Amanda Mang 1/7; Bill Cook, Corrine Foree, Rogene Froeb, 1/8; Mark Carlisle, Kailyn McCoy, 1/9; Kathryn George 1/10
Lectionary readings for January 5
2nd Sunday after Christmas Day Jer. 31:7-14; Psalm 147:12-20; Eph. 1:3-14; John 1: (1-9) 10-18
Reminders for Sunday, January 5
Liturgist: Andrea Paul-Bonham
Children’s Moment: Scott Paul-Bonham
Greeters: Bob & Mary McLaughlin
Ushers: Fred Rubey, Paul & Linda Shaw, Murray & Eunice Pate, Amanda Mang
Hosts: Susan Hoffman
Session Open and Close: Eileen Whalen, Linda Shaw
KOININIA PRAYER LIST
PRAYER REQUESTS (joys and concerns) should be called in or e-mailed to the church office. You can also place a request in the offering plate – or write it on the pew pad in worship. With your permission, they will be listed in the Koinonia prayer list, and announced in worship so that the church family can pray for the mentioned needs. Please keep the office updated on the requests.
- The New Year!
- Sympathy to Eli Aba on the death of his elder brother in Ghana
- Safe havens for those who do not have warm shelter during the winter weather
*indicates update of information
- Donna Wilson, at home recovering from abdominal surgery
- Jim Morgan
- Russell Kelly, Mary Kay (Farrar)’s husband
- John Chironna, Crohn’s disease
- Carol Cook, chronic heart condition has worsened
- Mary Jean DeMarr
- Mike Wadsworth, successful hip replacement
- Jim Schnabel, aortic aneurysm repaired, doing well at home
- Jon Ford’s mother, breast cancer
- Betty Wright, Marsha Harder’s mother
- The grandson of Lew Van Reed’s friend, serious liver problem
- Robert Horneker
- Harry Gee, at Davis Gardens/Westminster Village
- Andrea Paul-Bonham, YAV in Chinook, Montana
- Maria Exline, friend of Fred & Nancy Rubey, ruptured brain aneurysm
- Bill George, dialysis
- Jonathan Kirchoff, friend of Trey Ourand, brain cancer, chemotherapy
- Julia Blair
- Zain Shepard, 4 yr.old son of Cetta DePaolo’s friend, brain damage causing seizures. Pray for Zain’s parents and family.
- Linda Albin, mother of Bob Guell’s friend
- Debby Trierweiler, friend of Barb Goltry and Moles family, liver cancer; chemo
- Lewis Sego
- Cheryl Cunningham, friend of Mary Jean DeMarr, cancer
- Gary Jenkins
- Elliot Hartman age 5, from Elkhart, IN, the grandson of a couple who are close friends of Jim and Shirley Slutz, Systemic Juvenile Arthritis
- Lance Weatherwax’s parents
- Keith & JoAnn Paul, Donna Paul-Bonham’s parents
- Dorothy Jamieson, Sandy Mead’s mother
- Shawn Larson, Phillip Smith’s godson, struggling with limitations of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Donna Paul-Bonham’s aunt, cancer
- Charles McKinney, Jill Conner’s father
- John Fowler, Paul Fowler’s brother
- Mary Helen Terrell, friend of Kathy Seay, continuing eye and vision difficulties
- Sarah Hughes, daughter of a colleague of Elaine McVay, health problems associated with MS
- Billy Wilder, friend of Lant Davis
- Rev. Pam Habitz, friend of Scott Paul-Bonham, cancer
- David Doti, friend of Joe Harder, throat cancer
- Peggy Kord, Susan Moulton’s sister-in-law, Multiple Sclerosis
- Brian Harder-Army National Guard
- William Seo – Army, South Korea
- Sgt. Adam Buck, Army, Ft. Bliss, TX
- Brad Chironna, Marines, Cherry Hill, NC
- Lindsay Kenzor, Navy
- Sean Spydell, Anna Spydell’s brother, Navy
- Jonathan Seay, Kathy’s son, Air Force
- Anthony Hubbard, son of Honnalora Hubbard, Navy Corpsman,
- Chad Strickfadden, cousin of Amanda Tramel, Army, Afghanistan
- Jacob Culp, Chuck & Sandy’s grandson, Army, Ft. Benning, GA
- Beverly Kajander in MO
- Laura Redicks Royal Oaks
- Tebby Miller Southwood Reflections Unit
- George Justus Westminster Village
- Mary Symon
- Paul Fowler, Westminster Village
- Pastor – Lant Davis: [email protected]
- Christian Educator – Cheryl Moles: [email protected]
- Church/Financial Secretary – Sarah Kelsheimer: [email protected]
- Youth Director – Tiffany Grossman: [email protected]
- Music Director – Mark Carlisle: [email protected]
- Organist – Jonathan Rudy: [email protected]
- Facility information/concerns – [email protected]hcpc.org
Presbytery of Ohio Valley website: www.povpc.org